Since 1996, Pieter has worked as a hydrogeologist in private consulting for GHT Consulting Scientists, GCS Water & Environmental and for AngloGold Ashanti in the mining sector. This deep experience brings diverse stakeholder perspectives on the impacts of and effects of groundwater.
Pieter has participated in various groundwater impact, management, and supply projects. Some of his key capabilities include groundwater liability, risk assessments, and mine closure studies for both metalliferous and coal mining clients. He has developed and implemented groundwater management and monitoring programs, resource assessments, and feasibility studies for mining projects across Africa, Australia and South America.
Some of the most recent highlights include:
- Groundwater resource assessments and establishing a well-field in the Sahara Desert (Mauritania) and a feasibility assessment for a well-field in the Nubian Desert (Sudan) for gold mine projects.
- Participating in groundwater resource assessments for more than 300 schools in rural Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa, as part of an emergency drought relief program between 2016 and 2019.
- Assisting mining companies to manage operational and post-closure groundwater liability and risk due to acid mine drainage and sulfate drainage through practical and innovative approaches.
- Participating in community-based projects involving water conservation with local schools in the Durban area, South Africa, and supporting two community-based nature trail-run events (3 Falls Trail Run and Kwa-Ximba Trail Run).
- Developing long-standing relationships with clients and learning every day from both my colleagues and clients.
Equipped with a Master of Hydrogeology from the University of the Free State (UFS) in Bloemfontein, South Africa and over 20 years of hydrogeology experience, Pieter Labuschagne is a valuable addition to the AGE team.
Pieter and his family relocated to Brisbane from Durban earlier this year, which is no mean feat considering quarantine requirements and trying to find a house in a time of COVID-19.
Connect with Pieter via LinkedIn ~ https://www.linkedin.com/in/pieter-labuschagne-44119229/
View our AGE team ~ https://ageconsultants.com.au/about/team/